New York Liberty Celebrates CROWN Day

National CROWN (Creating a Respectful and Open World for Natural Hair) Day or Black Hair Independence Day is a special holiday commemorating the inaugural signing of the first CROWN Act legislation in California on July 3, 2019. CROWN Day is a day of solidarity for the human rights of Black women, men, and children to wear their natural hair boldly, and proudly, without the fear of being discriminated against in school or the workplace.

In celebration of CROWN Day, the New York Liberty partnered with I AM H.A.I.R. Beauty and the Taliah Waajid Brand to host a community braiding workshop for 30 girls at Barclays Center. The girls spend the day learning how to braid hair with a focus on educating, boosting self-confidence, cultivating creativity, and promoting professional development. Liberty guard, Betnijah Laney-Hamilton surprised the girls and learned how to braid alongside them.

I AM H.A.I.R. Beauty is dedicated to empowering young boys and girls by fostering creativity, self-expression, and self-confidence through the art of hair braiding. Their hair braiding workshops provides safe and inclusive spaces where everyone can learn valuable skills, develop a sense of pride in their cultural heritage, and build meaningful connections.

Scroll to top